MGMT - Oracular Spectacular



MGMT (yes, pronounced "management") seems to pull from the oddest combination of genres. While at times MGMT has a playful 70's dance sound in songs like "Electric Feel", they move on to a much more classic rock, Rolling Stones-esque sound in songs like "Pieces of What." They can also throw something much more psychedelic in songs like "4th Dimensional Transition."
Regardless of the sound, MGMT provides a driving, interesting sound in every song of the album. An interesting thing to note also is an overlying theme of childhood and growing up among the songs. "Time to Pretend" spouts:
"I'll miss the playground and the animals and digging up worms. I'll miss the comfort of my mother and the weight of the world."
Later on, "The Youth" and "Kids" both send heavy messages regarding the power of children and their potential.

If you don't believe me that this is a killer album, Spin hailed it as a top 10 "Artist to Watch" in 2008, and Dave Fridmann produced it (by the end of the album you won't be surprised).

EDIT: Local Show Alert: If you are so lucky to have been born before February 7th, 1987, MGMT will be headlining a show at 7th Street Entry with Yeasayer (and the pitiful Battle Royale). I am overly upset that I am not of 21+ status in society. This is truly bullocks. I did however see most of their set when they played with Of Montreal this fall and it was a very good live performance. I would definitely recommend going as I recommend the CD.

mediafire

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

xcllnt

Chris Antonelli said...

I've seen them twice and they were awesome both times. I think I like their first cd better than oracular spectacular. It was an ep called "time to pretend" and had some of the same songs, but I think it was cooler. More fresh and unique.
When I saw them the first time, they didn't play any instruments and there were only guys who just danced around in front of a sheet that said MGMT.
Always and forever one of my favorite bands.

Mixta Peep said...

Time To Pretend demo