Subtle - exitingARM



Subtle are considered by many to be one of the finest musicians currently active in music today & with good reason, all of their albums have been stone cold genius.... so with this heavy weight placed firmly on their shoulder how do this experimental hip hop group fair? Well the answer is quite simple in this case & that is, rather well indeed..... NO!... I was wrong they don't fair rather well, they fair better then RATHER well, they have put out the album of their career so far & I will tell you why this is & it comes in the words of 'FOCUS'. Sure the group are just as eclectic as ever and I never felt the need to criticise the groups focus before but on this album it just all makes sense more so then ever, it's not jarred at all & where as in their previous albums they would swing one way rapidly to another in the space of 3mins this album seems to have all the same elements but used more coherently and sparingly & it works brilliantly.

The album is as usual heavy and dense and produced brilliantly, the dense nature of the album means the is something to discover each & every listen.... the melodies within are hooky and very on the up but on first listen this may not seem the case, notes and drones dance and inter lay within one another & it's not until you listen to this album repeatedly will you even begin to get the patterns and see the true beauty, its pretty at first but now on my 6th listen I find this album all the more captivating & generally surprising... it's a hard thing to get right & I honestly thought it would lack the depth of the earlier albums due to it's surprisingly approachable first listen.

I have heard 'Third' by Portishead, 'April' by Sun Kil Moon & 'Alopecia' by Why? but for me I think this album out does them all and so far is the best album of the year & I would be very suprised if anything beats it.

Mediafire

No comments: